A special announcement
for teachers of Wind, String and Voice students. (rev. 03/21/2021)
The Southern California Junior Bach Festival is open to students of active, provisional and student members of participating branches of MTAC who wish to perform original works by J.S. Bach and who will not have reached their 19th birthday by April 1st of the Festival year. Vocalists may not have reached their 25th birthday. For the Organ, Strings, and Winds/Voice Regional Festivals, students of teachers who hold membership in the MTAC, National Flute Association (NFA), American Guild of Organists (AGO), American String Teachers Association (ASTA), and National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) are also eligible.
The String Festival format for 2021 is as follows:
1. String students perform in an All-Branch Regional Festival encompassing all of the MTAC branches and outside professional groups..
2. The All-Branch STRING Regional Festival is made up of two divisions:
(1) Junior – students who will not have reached their 14th birthday by April 1st of the Festival year, and
(2) Senior – students who are 14 through 18 years old as of April 1st of the Festival year.
3. Eligible instruments are violin, viola, violoncello and guitar or lute.
4. The All-Branch
STRING Regional Festival will be held virtually this year.
Registration DEADLINE (teachers) - April 10, 2021 (SAT), 11:59 pm PT
Online Video submission and payment DEADLINE (parent/student) - April 17, 2021 (SAT), 11:59 pm PT
A panel of three judges will write comments about each performance and
will select up to 45% of the students in each division as Regional
6. Both Junior and Senior medalists playing eligible repertoire may go forward to the Complete Works Auditions.
7. All other Rules and Teacher Guidelines of the SCJBF apply.
8. The fee for a soloist is $40.00 The fee for an ensemble is $60.00 (total). Online studnet payment for each entry is made concurrently with video submission.
9. Results will be available in early May.
The Wind and Voice format for 2020-2021 is as follows:1. Wind and Voice students will submit videos to participate in the All-Branch Regional Festival encompassing all of the MTAC branches participating in SCJBF.
o The video options for solo winds and voice this year are:
o solo winds or voice without accompaniment
o solo winds or voice with pianist (social-distancing guidelines must be observed)
o solo winds or voice with backing track
� Electronic/Digital rendering/realization of piano, piano reduction, chamber ensemble, chamber orchestra, or symphony orchestra accompaniment
� Applicant will submit video of Applicant playing live with the electronic/digital rendering/realization of the accompaniment audibly playing in the background through speakers
o solo winds or voice with pre-recorded accompaniment recorded by a collaborative pianist
� Applicant may submit video of Applicant playing live with the pre-recorded accompaniment audibly playing in the background through speakers
� Applicant may make a virtual video where they stitch together the video of the applicant with the video of the piano accompaniment (split picture)
2. The All-Branch
(1) Junior – students who will not have reached their 15th birthday by April 1st of the Festival year, and
(2) Senior – students who are 15 through 18 years old as of April 1st of the Festival year; Vocalists through age 25.
3. The All-Branch WIND and VOICE Regional Festival. All video entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Saturday, May 8, 2021.
4. A panel of three judges will write comments about each performance and will select up to 45% of the students in each division as Regional Medalists.
5. Both Junior and Senior medalists performing eligible repertoire may go forward to the Complete Works Auditions.
6. All other Rules and Teacher Guidelines of the SCJBF apply.
7. The fee for a soloist is $40.00. The fee for an ensemble is $60.00 (total). Online student payment for each entry is made concurrently with video submission.
The All-Branch String, Wind and Voice Festivals will also serve as the Regional Festival. Wind, string and voice students may participate (for comments only) in their home MTAC branch festival at their branch's discretion.
The CWA (Complete Works Audition) will be held in early October 2020. First place winners from these auditions will be invited to perform on a special SCJBF Memorial Awards Recital in mid-October 2020 at the Covenant Presbyterian Church in Long Beach. To be eligible for the CWA, a student must have been chosen by the judges at the All-Branch Regional Festival. All first, second and third place CWA winners will receive medals. Please keep in mind that if you wish for your students to compete in the Complete Works Audition, the repertoire must be chosen from the Complete Works list. A Complete Works Repertoire List is available on-line at www.scjbf.org.
All student applications are taken on-line at our web site, www.scjbf.org. If you have any questions, please call to:
Cheryl Scheidemantle, Phone: (626) 585-8894 Contact via E-mail
Emily An, Phone (909) 568-6394